Job: Three Scientific Software Programmers at the ILL
The ILL is looking for 3 scientific software programmers. Work will be conducted within the SINE2020 Data Treatment WP.
THESE POSITIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.
The Institut Laue-Langevin (ILL) is an international centre for scientific research situated in Grenoble, France. We are Europe’s leading neutron science facility. We receive over 2000 visiting scientists per year to carry out world-class research in a wide variety of scientific fields. The ILL upgrade programme and the European SINE2020 project have a common goal to foster a collective, Europe-wide approach to data reduction and analysis that will transform data treatment for neutron scattering experiments for the decade to come. The Computing for Science (CS) Group in the ILL’s Science Division is therefore currently recruiting 3 Scientific Software Programmers.
The mission of the CS Group is to deliver and support the critical data treatment software that enables visiting scientists to exploit their scattering data effectively during experiments. In this context, your duties will focus primarily on data reduction for a range of instruments in the Mantid code www.mantidproject.org”:http://www.mantidproject.org.
The work includes:
- writing loaders for ILL data which is in the NeXus/HDF5 format,
- implementing data reduction workflows based as far as possible on existing algorithms in the Mantid code,
- adding new algorithms, where necessary,
- validating results against existing software and implementing graphical user interfaces,
- interacting with scientists and software developers to ensure that software is delivered in a timely and effective manner.
Qualifications and experience:
You have – at least – a Master’s degree in a physical science or software engineering.
- a software developer interested in working in a leading scientific facility or a scientist with a strong track-record in software development,
- expert in Python and C++ programming and familiar with the modern software development methods and environment (e.g. Eclipse, GitHub…),
- service-oriented and a committed team player in order to work effectively with members of the CS group, scientists and European partners.
As an international research centre, we are particularly keen to attract applicants from outside France. You must have a sound knowledge of English and be willing to learn French (a language course will be paid for by the ILL). Knowledge of German would be an advantage.
How to Apply
36-month fixed-term contracts
For further information, contact Mark Johnson, Head of Computing for Science and coordinator of the SINE2020 project at the ILL: email@example.com.
Generous company benefits (expatriation allowance), relocation assistance and language courses may be offered for you and your spouse (for more information, please consult our employment conditions).
How to apply:
Please submit your application on-line, no later than 03/01/2016, via the web site: http://www.ill.eu/careers (vacancy reference: 15/22). The interviews will take place on week 4 of 2016.
These positions are partly funded by the SINE2020 Data Treatment WP .