Job offer: Postdoc in Biology, Biochemistry or Biophysics
Position available at the Jülich Centre for Neutron Science in Garching near Munich, within the framework of the SINE2020 activity on Crystal Growth.
Advertising institute: JCNS – Jülich Centre for Neutron Science
Reference number: 2016-094
Deadline for applications: 06/07/2016
Further information at: http://www.fz-juelich.de/SharedDocs/Stellenangebote/_common/dna/2016-094-EN-JCNS.html?nn=722154
MLZ in Garching. © Wenzel Schürmann, TUM
The Jülich Centre for Neutron Science (JCNS) provides scientists at universities and research institutions in Germany and throughout the world with access to neutron instruments of the highest performance class. In addition, as part of a cooperation agreement with Technische Universität München (TUM), JCNS also performs experiments at the Heinz Maier-Leibniz Zentrum (MLZ) in Garching near Munich. At MLZ, primarily basic research is conducted in the fields of physics, chemistry, biology, and materials science.
JCNS is looking to recruit a Postdoc in Biology, Biochemistry or Biophysics within the SINE2020 framework.
- Identify common features of the growth of large protein crystals from the literature and from available datasets
- Development of suitable set-ups for controlling crystal growth conditions based on e.g. light scattering techniques or optical microscopy
- Experiments on these set-ups to show their capability to improve crystal growth conditions for the increase of the output crystal size
- Project related communication with international scientists
- Performing experiments at the instrument BioDiff or other neutron diffractometers in order to check the suitability of the grown crystals for neutron diffraction
- Publish the results in peer reviewed journals and present them on national or international conferences and within the meetings of the SINE2020 EU project
- University degree in biology, biochemistry or biophysics or a related discipline and completed relevant PhD level
- Knowledge in protein crystallization using the most common methods (batch crystallization, vapor diffusion, counter diffusion)
- Practical experience in molecular biology methods (protein purification, gel electrophoresis, etc.)
- Having fun in developing new apparatuses, learning new skills and methods
- Experience in implementation and statistical analysis of experiments
- Very good command of written and spoken English
- Initiative character, creativity, good communication skills, result orientation and analytical skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team player
- Exciting working environment on an attractive research campus, ideally situated close to the city of Munich
- Opportunity to work in a team of motivated scientists and engineers, as well as with international partners
- Creation of innovative technologies
- Possibility to involve Master or Bachelor students in the course of the project
- Promoting professional development through participation in national and international conferences and through various training programs
- Limited contract for 2 years
- Full-time position with the option of slightly reduced working hours
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD).
Place of employment: Garching (Munich)
Contact Human Resource Development